Starting or Ending Residential Service

Are you moving? You can use this form to notify District Customer Service so we can open or close a residential service account. If this is for a commercial property, please contact Customer Service directly.

Are you moving in or out? *

Do you own or rent? *

First name: *
Last name: *
Service Address: *
Address 2:
City: Coral Springs
State: FL
Zip code: *
Home phone:*
Work phone:*
Fax number:

Account number:*
(Only for closing accounts)

(9 digits, no dashes)
Date of service change: * MM/DD/YYYY

If you are closing your account, please enter the address where you would like your final bill or refund check mailed to:

Please provide name of NEW OWNER, RENTER, BANK, ETC.


Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead contact this office by phone at (954) 753-0380, or in writing at 10300 NW 11th Manor, Coral Springs FL 33071.